Kerala Traditional Specialty Treatments
- Swedanam (Medicated Steam Bath)
- Udwarthanam and several others…
- Thailadhara: Medicated oil is streamed over the forehead and let to flow over the head of the person, thereby aiding vibrations from brain to normalize and relax.
- Thakradhara: Buttermilk processed in herbs and decoctions are used for streaming on the forehead.
- Ksheeradhara: Milk processed with herbs, decoctions or herbal pastes are used.
Medicated oil is retained inside, over the head in a special cap closely fitted around the head. Duration of this treatment depends on individual condition and constitution. Wonderful remedy for various neurological disorders related to the brain, facial palsy, some types of head ache etc.
Specially prepared herbal water made out of cooked and fermented grains are used to rhythmically stream on the whole body or local areas to help sudation. This helps open up blocked lymphatic channels and facilitate to discard the toxic metabolic wastes lodged in various parts of the body. This aid better absorption of medicines applied externally to work efficiently on the body.
Udwarthanam (Coarse herbal powder massage):
Helps the burn out the excess fat deposit in the body, impart mobility to joints and strengthen muscles.